Saturday 6 February 2010

Block Lotto - February Love Letters - Practice Alphabet

I like the idea of the patchwork letters, but thought I'd better practice first.  How right I was!  It was only when I'd done the whole alphabet (from Tonya's instructions) that I worked out my major difficulty had been remembering/ envisaging the results of having a 1/4" seam allowance....  Still, most of the letters are ok, and the rest, well they're just very liberated!

It's in the polycotton from the stool (see earlier posts) that I used for a door curtain.  Plus some recycled bed sheeting.  I also did my first attempt at a crumb block with leftover bits.  Which taught me a lot more about 1/4" seam allowances!

So, now I just need to work out which red/ cream/ pink/ white fabrics to use, then I can have a go at the real thing.  I was thinking the word 'gorgeousness' would be good, and doesn't include any of the really tricky letters!  Then we'll see if I end up doing more than one word....

The alphabet itself I think would make a good cot-sized quilt.  But then again, it's my practice sampler, so I'm not sure if I'm going to sew it all together, or at least maybe sew it all together but then keep it for future reference....  I used the letter blocks to have a go at sashing, and that was a good idea too!

1 comment:

Slideshow of all cards/ projects posted so far....

The tricky subject of ideas...

Feel free to use my work as a springboard for your own work for non-commerical use only: please credit me on your blog.

Music

temporarily unavailable